The Moose in the Zoo
Bright, colorful photos support decodable text, guiding beginning readers to identify, recognize, and use the long /oo/ sound. Featuring high-frequency words, this authentic nonfiction text also gives emerging readers the opportunity to read for information while reinforcing basic phonemic sounds. Readers will love reading about Bruno the Moose, the star of the zoo! This nonfiction phonics title is paired with the fiction phonics title The Moon Is My Balloon: Practicing the Long OO Sound.
The instructional guide on the inside front and back covers provides:
* Word List with carefully selected grade-appropriate words featuring the long /oo/ sound found in the text
* Teacher Talk that assists instructors in introducing the long /oo/ sound
* Group Activity that guides students to identify the long /oo/ sound, decode the words that contain it, and use the words
* Extended Activity that provides students with additional opportunities to think about, list, and use words containing the long /oo/ sound
* Writing Activity that guides students to write the letters that make the long /oo/ sound