The Big Dig
Bright, colorful photos support decodable text, guiding beginning readers to identify, recognize, and use the short /i/ sound. Featuring high-frequency words, this authentic nonfiction text also gives emerging readers the opportunity to read for information while reinforcing basic phonemic sounds. This book brings readers up close to big trucks and other machines. This nonfiction phonics title is paired with the fiction phonics title A Gift for Lily: Practicing the Short I Sound.
The instructional guide on the inside front and back covers provides:
* Word List with carefully selected grade-appropriate words featuring the short /i/ sound found in the text
* Teacher Talk that assists instructors in introducing the short /i/ sound
* Group Activity that guides students to identify the short /i/ sound, decode the words that contain it, and use the words
* Extended Activity that provides students with additional opportunities to think about, list, and use words containing the short /i/ sound
* Writing Activity that guides students to write the letter that makes the short /i/ sound