I Grow a Garden
Bright, colorful photos support decodable text, guiding beginning readers to identify, recognize, and use the /g/ sound. Featuring high-frequency words, this authentic nonfiction text also gives emerging readers the opportunity to read for information while reinforcing basic phonemic sounds. Readers will follow a narrator as they grow their own garden. This nonfiction phonics title is paired with the fiction phonics title Gabby Gets a Goldfish: Practicing the Hard G Sound.
The instructional guide on the inside front and back covers provides:
* Word List with carefully selected grade-appropriate words featuring the hard /g/ sound found in the text
* Teacher Talk that assists instructors in introducing the hard /g/ sound
* Group Activity that guides students to identify the hard /g/ sound, decode the words that contain it, and use the words
* Extended Activity that provides students with additional opportunities to think about, list, and use words containing the hard /g/ sound
* Writing Activity that guides students to write the letters that make the hard /g/ sound