Elaine Takes a Train
Colorful Illustrations support decodable text, guiding beginning readers to identify, recognize, and use the /ai/ sound. Featuring high-frequency words, this authentic fictional narrative also gives emerging readers the opportunity to read with purpose and for meaning while reinforcing basic phonemic sounds. Readers will follow a relatable character named Elaine as she takes her first train ride. This fiction phonics title is paired with the nonfiction phonics title I Can Paint: Practicing the AI Sound.
The instructional guide on the inside front and back covers provides:
* Word List with carefully selected grade-appropriate words featuring the /ai/ sound found in the text
* Teacher Talk that assists instructors in introducing the /ai/ sound
* Group Activity that guides students to identify the /ai/ sound, decode the words that contain it, and use the words
* Extended Activity that provides students with additional opportunities to think about, list, and use words containing the /ai/ sound
* Writing Activity that guides students to write the letters that make the /ai/ sound