At the Wheel
Bright, colorful photos support decodable text, guiding beginning readers to identify, recognize, and use the /wh/ sound. Featuring high-frequency words, this authentic nonfiction text also gives emerging readers the opportunity to read for information while reinforcing basic phonemic sounds. Readers will learn about the wheels of different vehicles, from cars to tractors. This nonfiction phonics title is paired with the fiction phonics title Walter the Whale: Practicing the WH Sound.
The instructional guide on the inside front and back covers provides:
* Word List with carefully selected grade-appropriate words featuring the /wh/ sound found in the text
* Teacher Talk that assists instructors in introducing the /wh/ sound
* Group Activity that guides students to identify the /wh/ sound, decode the words that contain it, and use the words
* Extended Activity that provides students with additional opportunities to think about, list, and use words containing the /wh/ sound
* Writing Activity that guides students to write the letters that make the /wh/ sound