A Rock in My Sock
Colorful Illustrations support decodable text, guiding beginning readers to identify, recognize, and use the short /o/ sound. Featuring high-frequency words, this authentic fictional narrative also gives emerging readers the opportunity to read with purpose and for meaning while reinforcing basic phonemic sounds. Readers will a narrator as they try to finish a race with a rock in their sock. This fiction phonics title is paired with the nonfiction phonics title A Job in a Shop: Practicing the Short O Sound.
The instructional guide on the inside front and back covers provides:
* Word List with carefully selected grade-appropriate words featuring the short /o/ sound found in the text
* Teacher Talk that assists instructors in introducing the short /o/ sound
* Group Activity that guides students to identify the short /o/ sound, decode the words that contain it, and use the words
* Extended Activity that provides students with additional opportunities to think about, list, and use words containing the short /o/ sound
* Writing Activity that guides students to write the letter that makes the short /o/ sound